I am Christina
Baptista, RMT. I have been practicing as a Registered Massage
Therapist in Victoria, British Columbia for over 14 years. I enjoy providing massage therapy treatments to a variety of patients, as well as educating patients about their bodies and the importance of self-care.
Why Did I Become a Massage Therapist?
What orignally drew me to the massage therapy profession was that it was a drug-free, holistic approach to health care. Since becoming an RMT in 2003, my massage practice has evolved significantly. Not only do I focus on physical health, but I believe in whole-person health, which includes physical, mental and emotional wellbeing. Massage therapy is a wonderful self-care practice, which can be utilized not only for injuries and medical conditions, but also on a maintenance/prevention basis. Here are some of the many benefits of massage:
- decreased perception of pain
- decreased stress-induced sympathetic nervous system firing
- increased parasympathetic (relaxation) nervous system response
- improved sense of physical well-being
- increased functional mobility
- decreased muscle stiffness
- improved joint range of motion
- improved circulation
- decreased edema (swelling)
- improvement in sleep quality
- improved mood/mental well-being
I feel very fortunate to be a member
of a profession that provides so many positive benefits to its' patients.
Why See a Registered Massage Therapist (RMT)?
To become an RMT, I was required to successfully complete a comprehensive 3,000 hour training program. During this program, I obtained over 1,000 hours of hands-on training in Swedish massage, neuromuscular techniques, myofascial release, muscle energy, joint mobilizations, hydrotherapy, remedial exercises, manual lymphatic drainage and craniosacral therapy. I also received an in-depth education in subjects such as anatomy & physiology, neurology, general pathology, clinical assessment/management, professional development, orthopedic pathology, neurological assessment, musculoskeletal anatomy & kinesiology.
As a student, I had the opportunity to practice on the public, under supervision, in the student intern clinic and in-reach programs at the West Coast College of Massage Therapy, as well as at the many organized out-reaches (e.g. sporting events, extended care facilities, etc.). Upon completion of this 3 year program, I obtained a Diploma in Massage Therapy. College graduates are required to complete board-certified examinations (written by the College of Massage Therapists of British Columbia, in accordance with the Health Professions' Act of British Columbia). This process consists of three written examinations and one oral-practical examination.
Once the board examinations have been successfully completed, only then may a graduate earn the title of "Registered Massage Therapist". So, as you can see, RMTs are very highly trained health care professionals.
The Benefits of Seeing a Registered Massage Therapist:
- RMTs are provided with a practitioner number to be able to bill the Medical Services Plan (MSP) of BC.
- This practitioner number is required by extended health care plans to provide reimbursement to individuals for their massage therapy treatments.
- RMTs have strict ethical guidelines, which they must adhere to.
- RMTs are required to take part in continuing education courses, in order to keep their registration current.
- RMTs have a thorough understanding of what is outside of their scope of practice and when to refer on to another health care practitioner.
- RMTs are trained to recognize when it is contraindicated to provide treatment and what precautions are needed to be taken with certain health conditions (e.g. semi-sitting position for respiratory conditions, no large circulatory massage techniques applied when hypertension is a concern).
- RMTs are qualified to take blood pressure readings.
- RMT treatments can be covered by ICBC and/or WCB directly, which may decrease the cost of treatment to the patient through direct billing OR reimbursement.
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have.
I look forward to connecting with you!
Christina has an incredible ability to tune into your body quickly and provide a treatment that is in perfect harmony with your specific needs each visit. She has a way of making you feel at home with her genuine nature and lovely and relaxing treatment room. I have had several massage therapists, and no other comes close to providing the same quality of care, ever-evolving skill and warm personality as Christina.
I've been seeing Christina for massage therapy treatment for over 7 years now. She is an incredibly skilled RMT and has successfully treated several injuries, chronic pain and headaches and muscle tension. She also manages to make even a clinical treatment very relaxing and enjoyable. I feel very safe and comfortable with her. I'll definitely continue to see her for ongoing maintenance treatment, as well as any issues that arise.
I had my first massage with Christina this morning and it was a delicious way to start out Valentine's Day. She is very personable and her knowledge and technique show in her demeanour and work style! I would highly recommend adding her services to your regular self care regime. Thank you Christina!!
- E. J.
Christina has gotten me through facet joint syndrome, a car accident, neck pain, two pregnancies, and bursitis. She not only treats the symptoms, but can give you stretches and advice so the problem doesn't reappear.
I started getting treatments from Christina while I was pregnant over a year ago and am still seeing her for regular massage. She is also a birthing doula and has good knowledge of maternity issues. I would definitely recommend Christina to pregnant women and new mothers.
My husband and I have been clients of Christina for years. She is personable, professional and has very strong hands which helps me with my back pain.
Christina is a great massage therapist - I always feel better after having a session with her. She is willing to try different massage technique to cure your problem areas and has great interpersonal skills.
I have been going to Christina for about 5 years and she works her magic on my back that I have put out again, or because by body hurts from my R.A. being active and her massage always makes such a difference to how I feel. Thank-you Christina.
I highly recommend Christina for massage therapy. I have been receiving treatment from her for several years and I have always had excellent results.
I highly recommend Christina for massage therapy. She is extremely professional, and has a magic touch to rid your body of all those unwanted aches and pains from tired or stressed muscles.
Christina has been my massage therapist for several years. I have been plagued by migraine headaches for years and have found that Christina's firm but gentle treatments have really helped me out. So much so that although I don't get headaches anywhere near as often, I still go to see her for a "fix" and a relief from the pain.